At the end of the course of instruction, the learner should be able to: -
- Have the knowledge of common medicolegal cases in Myanmar, and the principles of management of such cases
- Correlate between the clinical manifestations and the autopsy findings.
1. Serve as a competent medical witness in the law courts.
- Have the knowledge and attitude to abide by the moral and legal codes of the ethical medical practice.
- Have the awareness that it is one of the duties of a medical officer to assist law enforcement agencies and thereby help in the management of medicolegal problems of the community.
- Be aware of the importance of consultation / referral to Specialist whenever necessary.
- Role of Forensic Medicine
- Laws Courts and Criminal Procedures
- Personal Identification
- Forensic Thanatology
- Medico-legal aspects of Wounds
- Road traffic accident
- Regional injuries
- Scene of crime
- Sudden and unexpected deaths
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Sexual offences
- Medico-legal aspects of pregnancy
- Criminal abortion, Sterilization
- Sexual functions
- Medical ethics
- Medical negligence
- Principles and guidelines in the management of medico-legal cases
- Forensic Toxicology
In addition to theoretical aspect, practical aspects and problem-solving skills which are necessary for basic doctor are taught. Moral and legal codes and problems regarding medical ethics and negligence are also included in the courses.
Teaching/ learning methods
- Didactic lectures
- Medico-legal autopsy demonstration class
- Morbid pathology specimen demonstration and discussion class
- Written assignments on 2 medico-legal reports regarding wounds/ age assessment/rape examinations/ alcoholic intoxication etc.
- Written assignments on autopsy reports of medico-legal deaths that the students have personally observed.
- Tutorials on appropriately separated topics
- Case discussion on medico-legal death and clinical medico-legal cases using appropriate colour photo slides
- Practical aspects and problem-solving skills are taught on common medico-legal problems.