WE KNOW WHAT YOU NEED - WE KNOW WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS
Welcome to the Department of Pathology
History of Department
The history of the department dates back to 1956, when University of Medicine Mandalay was inaugurated as Faculty of Medicine (Mandalay). Dr. Johnny Aung, headed the newly formed Department of Pathology and Bacteriology. In 1958, when he passed away, the department was headed by Dr. Hla Thein. When he was transferred to Yangon, in the same year, the department was headed by Dr. Nyunt Nyunt. On the 1st May of 1960, the Department of Pathology was born with the new head of the department, Dr. Ram Dev. Since then to date, fifteen professors have headed the department. Professor Dr. San San Hlaing is the present head of the department since 2016.
General pathology and systemic pathology are taught to undergraduate 3rd M.B., B.S and Final Part I M.B., B.S students since 1956.
A post-graduate course of Master of Medical Science (Pathology) has been introduced in 1995 and to date 61 candidates have graduated and 39 candidates are taking the course. A doctorate course was introduced in 1999. The first candidate graduated in 2002. This was followed by fifteen respective candidates eligible for doctoral degree. At the moment eleven candidates are doing research work leading to a doctoral degree. Diploma course for pathology has started in 2014 and to date three candidates have graduated and one candidate is taking the course.
The department is also involved in teaching of pathology in basic science courses for clinical and para-clinical postgraduates. The department also takes part in teaching pathology to postgraduate students of M.Med.Sc courses in medical jurisprudent, child health, obstetrics & gynaecology, dental medicine and undergraduate students of 3rd year and 4th year medical technology.
The department contributes clinical pathology services at the teaching hospital, Mandalay General Hospital (MGH) since 1964. Full integration between the department of Pathology at the University of Medicine and the MGH was started in 1999 when Professor Dr. Khin May Thein was appointed as professor and head of both departments, followed by Professor Dr. Zeyar Htun up to 2006. Thereafter, the heads of the department were not appointed to hold a dual charge for both departments up to 2013.
The department is engaged in several research works in the various clinical pathology disciplines. In addition to research projects undertaken by master and doctorate students, the department also has several departmental research work as well as research in collaboration with other departments in the institute and other institutes.