WE KNOW WHAT YOU NEED - WE KNOW WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS
The Physiology Department was formed, since this university was founded at 1954, as a “Branch Medical Faculty” under supervisory of Rangoon University. Dr Chaudery was employed as Special Professor in Charge. He took the duty of dean as well as the Professor of Physiology Department when this university was separated from Rangoon University and was founded as ‘Faculty of Medicine - Mandalay’ at 1957. When Professor Chaudery returned to India at 1960, Professor Pe Thein became a head of department after his achievement of Ph.D. from England.
At 1967, the first postgraduate course of Burmese medical school – ‘Master of Medical Science (Physiology)’ was instigated by physiology professors; Prof. U Mya Tu, Prof. U Pe Thein, Prof. U Chit Maung and Dr. U Mya Maung. This is the earliest postgraduate course in Medical Universities of Myanmar and the first postgraduate student was Dr. May May Yi who achieved M.Med.Sc (Physiology) graduation at 1968.
From that time on, Physiology Department took responsibilities to teach both physiology and biochemistry subjects till biochemistry department was separated and formed individual department in 1987.
At 1973, postgraduate curriculum for Basic Medical Science Course was included in physiology curriculum.
Now, altogether twenty five staff currently strengthens the department, rendering teaching service to various undergraduate and postgraduate courses. They include second M.B.,B.S course, M.Med.Sc (Physiology) course, Ph.D (Physiology), and basic medical science course for some clinical postgraduate courses.